North Durban Presbyterian Church is situated in the suburb of Sunningdale, north of the Umgeni River in the City of Durban, South Africa. We offer a contemporary service on Sundays at 08h30. Communion is celebrated on the first Sunday of each month.
We offer various ministries, including Bible Studies (Cell Groups), Prayer Meetings, Men’s Ministry, Ladies’ Fellowship and Sunday School. To remain relevant in our community, we work closely with a number of NGOs. iCare is an organisation that cares for Durban’s inner city children. Mission to Seafarers cares for sailors around the world. We also support other local outreach projects as well.
The church work north of the Umgeni started in 1903, when a small group of Presbyterians met in a schoolroom in Greenwood Park. Work commenced on the first permanent church building in North Coast Road. This building was consecrated in February 1906. The original wood and iron building is still standing (known as the ‘Tin Temple’, it is now used as a base for the Swiss Stone Masons.)
This building remained as a church until 1950 when a new building (‘Parkhill’) was erected on the opposite side of the road. A new church building was erected in 1958 in Norrie Avenue, Durban North and the ‘Parkhill’ building was sold. Church growth was considerable and again a new building was erected in 1971 on a large site in Mackeurtan Avenue.
In 1983, the majority of the congregation at that time, set up an independent church and retained the church buildings and all its assets. The ‘Presbyterian’ minority met initially in private homes and then in a series of school buildings throughout the Durban North area as the congregation grew. The current church building was consecrated on 6 December 1992 in the suburb of Sunningdale.